HB 101 has been introduced. This proposed legislation calls for regulation rather than an outright ban of Internet cafes. Among its provisions:
- Establishment of a state lottery commission office of sweepstakes compliance which would license and oversee operation of sweepstakes parlors;
- Allow municipalities and townships to govern Internet cafes in their jurisdiction. They could either outright ban such establishments or subject them to local zoning regulations;
- Require third-party lab analysis of sweepstakes software that would verify games as sweepstakes and not slot machines or illegal gambling;
- Criminal background checks of software vendors and store owners;
- Prohibit the sale of alcohol at Internet cafes;
- Prohibit a single prize payout of greater than $5,000 and permit only cash payouts;
- Prominent display of operator’s license and sweepstakes software certification.